The 2019 New York Community Trust Harris Scholarship offers a four-year college scholarship, in the amount of $27,200 over four years, for students attending an accredited college or university. The allocation of the Harris Scholarship will meet the student’s need or equal $3,400 per semester, whichever is lower. Need is defined as school-related expenses, including tuition, books and supplies, and room and board. Monies in excess of need will be reallocated to current Harris scholars whose needs are not met.
Students must attend an accredited college or university, barring any music conservatory, in pursuit of a baccalaureate degree in any field or discipline along with continued study of music throughout college. While this scholarship is not intended for students who expect to pursue a career in music, a requirement of the scholarship is the continued formal study of music (e.g., taking one semester-long music class per year).
To be eligible for the New York Community Trust Harris Scholarship Program at Third Street Music School for 2019-2020, students must meet the following criteria:
- Are actively studying music at Third Street and have since at least the 2017-18 school year.
- Plan to graduate from a New York City public school by the end of the 2018-19 school year.
- Intend to enroll in an accredited four-year college or university program in Fall 2019.
- Exceptional academic ability and achievement, based on high school transcripts, cumulative GPA and SAT/ACT scores.
- Demonstrate significant financial need as determined by the NAIS School & Student Services application.
- Participate in two or more music-related activities on a regular basis (e.g., individual lessons, partner lessons, repertoire classes, small or large ensembles, music theory and composition, public performances, etc.).
- Contribute positively as a member of their community as evidenced by three letters of recommendation from teachers, coaches, guidance counselors, mentors, employers, etc.
Third Street will convene a five-member panel composed of educators, school administrators and experts in the field, to review scholarship applications and select recipients. After a reading of applications, the panel will convene to further review and discuss applicants and select each scholarship recipient.
Fill out and submit the application form linked below. In addition, students will need to submit the following documents either electronically or by mail to Third Street Music School Harris Scholarship, 235 E. 11th Street, New York, NY 10003.
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores.
- Complete high school transcripts: all four years through most recent semester.
- Financial Assistance Application, linked here and submitted electronically. Please note, if a Financial Assistance Application has already been submitted for the 2018-19 school year, it is not necessary to resubmit an application.
- Three letters of recommendation: one academic, one music-related, one personal.
These documents must be submitted electronically or post-marked by Saturday, March 9, 2019. For any questions regarding eligibility, the financial assistance application or the scholarship application, please contact Keishel Lee via email, or at 212-777-3240, ext. 36