APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 1, 2019
What are the annual auditions?
The Annual Auditions are a longstanding tradition at Third Street that affords an opportunity for students to perform in a supportive environment for a panel of judges including the Director of Programs and one or more external adjudicators. Students who participate in the auditions gain a better understanding of setting and achieving goals, gain valuable audition experience, and receive constructive feedback from the panel of supportive adjudicators.
Who can participate in annual auditions?
Students ages 5 through 18 who are registered for individual lessons, dance classes, or [email protected] classes at Third Street, and who meet the requirements, may participate in the Auditions. Readiness is determined by the individual instructor and Department Chair.
How to sign up?
It is up to the discretion of the private instructor as to whether a student is eligible and prepared to take this audition. If you have questions, please discuss the requirements for eligibility with your teacher.
What are students auditioning for?
- The Auditions offer students an opportunity to showcase their achievements and the potential of being selected for Third Street performances, including the Stowe C. Phelps Annual Concert. All students receive a Certificate and written comments to acknowledge their achievements, and some students receive small Merit Awards.
- The Annual Auditions should not be confused with the Ensemble Auditions
- Students selected for the Stowe C. Phelps Annual Concert on May 22, 2019 must perform the piece with which they auditioned and commit to attending a short rehearsal on May 18 or May 19.
What happens at the auditions?
Students are assigned a time slot based on instrument, age, and level. Students enter the room without teachers or parents and play their piece. Following the audition, students are dismissed to their parents/caregivers. Support is provided for instruments that require tuning.
What are the requirements and prerequisites?
- Students must be enrolled in individual lessons or a dance class at Third Street
- Perform in a Music Hour or other Third Street public performances during the current school year
- Piano and Strings: At least three (3) to be completed by the audition date
- Guitar, Woodwinds, Brass and Voice: At least two (2) to be completed by the audition date
- Dance: By Department Chair determination
- Demonstrate good attendance, regular practice and consistent progress throughout the year
- Receive a recommendation from teacher and Department Chair
- Music must be memorized and accompaniment must be used if the piece requires it.
When are the auditions?
||Sunday, April 14||9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.||AMK Concert Hall|
||Sunday, April 14||1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.||AMK Concert Hall|
||Monday, April 15||5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.||Recital Hall|
||Thursday, April 18||4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.||Recital Hall|
||Thursday, April 18||6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.||Recital Hall|
||Monday, April 8||7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.||AMK Concert Hall|
||At their usual coaching time by appointment|
Questions about signing up?
If you have questions, please discuss the requirements for eligibility with your teacher. For questions with the registration process, please email Ivan Antonov, Assistant Director, Music & Dance School.