Third Street's renowned school and community partnerships provide access to high-quality music and dance education to young people of all backgrounds.
Third Street Partners
Serving Generations of Students in New York City Schools
The Third Street Partners program provides tailored group music and dance instruction in more than 25 public, private and charter schools throughout New York City. Founded in the 1970's as the MILES (Music in the Lower East Side) program, Third Street Music School was one of the first community arts organizations in the nation to foster partnerships with public schools with a simple goal aligned with its mission: to change lives of students for the better through music and dance.
Working closely with partner schools and organizations, many of which are located in federally designated poverty areas, we work to meet community needs and to achieve national, state and city standards for arts education. The program includes:
- WEEKLY INSTRUCTION: Trained Third Street faculty members instruct classes of students ranging from preschool to high school age throughout the year.
- MEASURED ACHIEVEMENT: Third Street faculty and program staff members meet regularly with classroom teachers and administrators at each school to plan and reflect on student progress and programmatic impact.
- OPPORTUNITIES FOR FREE ARTS EDUCATION: Students from Partner public schools can apply for free group classes at Third Street as part of our [email protected] program, ensuring that each student has the opportunity to reach his or her full potential in music and dance.
Current Third Street Partner Public Schools and Community centers
- Bard High School Early College
- Brighter Choice Community School
- Brooklyn Landmark Elementary School
- Cascades High School
- Earth School
- East Village Community School
- The Pedro Albizu Campos Plaza Community Centers
- MS 131 Dr. Sun Yat Sen
- Neighborhood School
- Peck Slip School
- PS 3 Charrette School
- PS 8 Isaac Varian
- PS 15 Roberto Clemente
- PS 19 Asher Levy
- PS 33 Chelsea Prep
- PS 42 Benjamin Altman
- PS 81 Thaddeus Stevens
- PS 99 Kew Gardens
- PS 110 Florence Nightingale
- PS 130 Hernando De Soto
- PS 277 Bronx
- Tompkins Square Middle School
Following their first year of study, students attending one of our Third Street Partners public schools are eligible to participate in [email protected], a program that provides free and low-cost group classes held after school and on weekends at Third Street's home on East 11th Street. These classes are offered across a variety of instruments and dance styles.
During the first year, students receive free tuition for the full school year (September - June). Students returning for a second year of group classes pay $300 in tuition. Tuition assistance is available.
To be eligible for this program in 2018-19, children must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 6 and 14 as of December 1, 2018.
- Attend a public school that has partnered with Third Street Music School Settlement for music or dance instruction in 2017-18.
- Never enrolled in Third Street's after-school/weekend program at any time during the past two years.
The Pedro Albizu Campos Plaza
Working in partnership with University Settlement, the Third Street Community Annex at Campos Plaza Public Houses provides a variety of group instruction to young people as part of the center's robust after-school arts and community programming.
If you think your school or community center would benefit from a partnership with Third Street, please let us know! Contact Lauren Tenney, at (212) 777-3240, ext. 53, or [email protected].