Job & Volunteer Opportunities
- In-House Concert Usher
- Special Events Ambassador
Marketing and Communications Associate
Position Reports to: Director of Marketing & Communications
- Assist in the production, management, printing and dissemination of event flyers, brochures, posters, dropcards, event invitations and other outreach materials
- Distribute and track external collateral distributed to community partners such as local businesses and non-profitsWrite occasional articles for The Beat, Third Street’s biannual print newsletter
- Assist in the creation of a new Third Street Music School Settlement website
- Maintain and regularly update photos, content and other media on the Third Street website
- Update event calendar with full range of Third Street offerings in tandem with Programs Department
- Help analyze web analytics to promote site usage and development
Social Media & e-Communications
- Compile and write bi-weekly e-newsletter and other e-bulletins for internal and external use
- Help refine the e-mail lists and practices at Third Street
- Develop more consistent presence on Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets that can develop Third Street’s “personality” while increasing online engagement and grow our audience
- Create and manage day-to-day posting of original content
- Explore new ways to engage social media users with small “snippet” interactions (such as brief video or photo-essay interviews with faculty, staff, students or parents, a la HONY)
- Help develop and run social media- and e-communication-based fundraising initiatives (eg: peer-to-peer fundraising, cause marketing, etc…)
- Coordinate outreach initiatives to help deepen engagement with Third Street’s staff, parents, and students.
- Support the work of PR firm in developing and editing press releases, press kits and gathering related media materials
- Create and maintain print and online press and media kits
- Document and disseminate media coverage
- Track receipts for department credit card charges
- Track inventory of Third Street stationery such as letterhead, envelopes, hangtags, etc.
- Track inventory of Third Street merchandise and swag
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-3 years of communications and marketing experience
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite especially Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere
- Proactive thinker and independent worker
- Great interpersonal skills, both verbal and written
- Positive attitude and good sense of humor
- Familiarity with primary social media and online community platforms
- Basic command of HTML/CSS
- Ability to multitask in fast-paced, multi-faceted, non-profit environment
- Proficient on a Mac
- Love of music and music education is a plus!
- Candidates with a background in web design, graphic design or audio/video editing will be given preferential consideration.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click here to email a cover letter and resume in PDF format to Joshua Mack. Due to the volume of applicants, only qualified applicants may receive a response.
Third Street Music School Settlement is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
There are no positions available at this time.
Student Volunteers, Programs Department
Third Street Music School Settlement, the nation's oldest community school of music, located in the heart of the East Village, is seeking currently enrolled High School students to volunteer their time helping the Third Street community in a variety of roles.
In-House Concert Usher (2 per concert)
- Greet guests and hand out concert programs at the door of the Anna-Maria Kellen Auditorium
- Guide patrons to seats as needed
- Close doors at the beginning of the performance and keep late attendees help until a piece is over
- Open doors at the end of the performance and thank guests for their attendance
- Answer any questions patrons may have about Third Street
Special Event Ambassador (number of volunteers dependent on event size)
- Assist the programs team in set up, execution and clean up of event
- Serve as a leader for younger students in activities
- Serve as a hall monitor for parents and students who may have questions or need directions
- Distribute welcome packets if needed
- Distribute food and drink if needed
- Perform on instrument as requested by Programs Staff (requests to be made in advance of event)
Schedule and Additional Information
Schedule to be determined by student sign up, on a first-come first-serve basis. All students interested in volunteering should sign up by clicking here.
Number of student volunteers will be based on the size of an event. Selected volunteers will be notified by e-mail of their role, time for reporting and anticipated length of event. Please note that if a volunteer cancels with less than 24 hours notice they will not receive priority scheduling for future events. In the event that a student needs a letter to prove their volunteer time to a school or other institution they should e-mail Matthew Stewart.
Third Street Music School Settlement relies on many volunteers, mostly students and parents, to help with various program activities and events throughout the year. Third Street is most grateful to its many volunteers. If you are a student or parent who is interested in volunteering, please contact Myra Nieves in the Registrar's Office at 212-777-3240, ext. 30.
To help high school, college and graduate students earn community-service or field credits, Third Street Music School Settlement also offers unpaid internships within various administrative departments. Third Street mostly works through school/college/university internship programs to identify candidates. However, if you are interested in seeking an unpaid internship at Third Street, please send a cover letter outlining your interests and community-service or field-credit goals along with your resume and list of references to the following address:
Third Street Music School Settlement
235 East 11th Street
New York, New York 10003
All inquiries must be made in writing or by e-mail as specified above. No follow-up
e-mails or calls will be accepted. Third Street will respond to your inquiry, only if an opportunity is available.
Thank you for your interest in Third Street.